Breeder’s Code of Ethics
- I will provide information on the characteristics and properties of the breed to interested individuals.
- I will maintain a safe, clean and sanitary facility for all stud dogs, bitches, dogs and puppies for sale.
- I will breed only for the purpose of improving the quality of the breed. I will conscientiously plan each litter of puppies for sale, selecting a stud dog and bitch to be mated based on their health, temperament, conformation and pedigrees.
- I will be knowledgeable about inherited health problems in my breed and will do appropriate health clearances on all breeding animals. Copies of these health clearances will be available to buyers of dogs and puppies for sale.
- I will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed, nor falsely advertise or mislead any person regarding the performance of any dogs or puppies for sale.
- I will not breed any male before 12 months of age. I will not breed any female during her first heat cycle. I will wait until they are both physically and mentally mature. I will not continue to breed any male or female beyond an appropriate age for the breed.
- I will comply with all federal, state and local government laws and regulations concerning the keeping of dogs.
- If puppies offered for sale are to be registered, they will be registered with the Champion Canine Club (C3) and any other registry with equivalent standards. If such puppies are not to be registered, I will inform the buyer of that fact in writing.
- I will refrain from releasing any puppy until it is at least seven weeks old (or eight weeks old if the puppy is to be shipped).
- I will show discrimination in the sale of my puppies and be concerned with the type of homes in which they are placed. I will make buyers aware of their responsibilities as dog owners. I will not sell or donate dogs to commercial dog wholesalers, dealers, brokers, retailers, pet shops or any other person or organization, for resale or “give-away” to the public. I will not supply puppies or dogs to be trained or used for dog fighting.
- I will keep accurate records and retain those records for a minimum of five years. These records will include: stud service contracts, pedigrees, all litters of puppies for sale and all dogs/puppies sold.
- I am not a broker, dealer, puppy mill or wholesaler. I will not offer puppies for sale that I have acquired from others. I will not sell puppies to pet shops or other retailers.
- At time of sale, I will provide the buyer:
- a properly executed Registration Certificate together with full written disclosure of the name of the registry (or if puppy is not to be registered, a written statement to that effect). Registration materials may be withheld if a written statement is provided to the new owner of when, and under what conditions, they will be provided (e.g. until the time of spay or neuter by the new owner as verified by a veterinarian or if a written certification identifying the exact date of birth and the registration numbers of the Sire and Dam is provided instead).
- health record including a diet, inoculation and parasite control record and health guarantee.
- basic diet and care information.
- the time frame during which the puppy or dog may be examined by a licensed veterinarian, at the buyer’s expense and upon written recommendation of the veterinarian for specific reasons, the puppy or dog may be returned to the seller for a full refund of all money paid.
- I will not deliberately degrade any other breeder, their dogs or their kennel.
- I will be honest and ethical in my financial dealings with buyers.
- I agree to be a resource for buyers of puppies or older dogs that I have sold for the life of the dog.
Champion Canine Club (C3) assumes no responsibility for the quality, health or temperament of any dog, nor the warranty, guarantee, integrity, honesty or reliability, expressed or implied, by any person or of or by any person or kennel whose name appears in the C3 directory. All such warranties, guarantees and promises are between buyer(s) and seller(s) as individuals.
All buyers are strongly encouraged to carefully document, in writing, all representations, promises, statements, warranties and guarantees made by sellers of puppies for sale and older dogs for sale. Such documentation should be signed by the seller. C3 cannot and does not become involved in resolving conflicts and disagreements between buyers and sellers. C3’s responsibility is limited to requesting assurance from listed breeders that they abide by terms of the C3 Breeder’s Code of Ethics.